Shouting the Poetic Truths of High School Journal Keepers

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Some reflections

So I won't have any new entries until 2005, since young-me was apparently too busy enjoying his Christmas presents to bother writing in his journal. But I just wanted to let you all know I appreciate the positive response I've gotten so far, especially from those of you who have surfed in from elsewhere.

Going back to these journals has given me odd bouts of nostalgia mixed with faint embarrassment. I didn't think at first I'd have to censor anything, but I guess I forgot about several 1995 entries that actually pain me to look at now. (I'm realizing that during my late teen years, I probably felt less self-conscious about writing about private matters than I did either before or after that period.) On the whole, though, I look at these journals with much bemusement, and the vast majority will be presented completely unadulterated. (Apart from Googleproofing, that is -- although I have a wicked urge to let someone Google themselves and find that one of the hits is some terrible catty remark I made about their sixteen-year-old self.)

Another note, for the curious: the seven journals from which these entries are culled are all Mead 70-page college-rule notebooks. I've chosen to end at 1997 partially because I don't have enough distance yet from more recent events, but mostly because that's when the Mead phase ended and I started writing, with considerably less regularity, in small blank books.

Anyway, have a happy New Year, and stay tuned.

2 Comments:

  • I'm all into self-censorship. I have decided against letting the world read about my earliest sexual thoughts/adventures for the most part, even though that's something I would probably be interested in if it wasn't my life on the screen. And I don't want to rehash some painful moments surrounding my parents' divorce either or deaths of relatives... Sometimes, I wish I hadn't written about those things at all, because maybe I would have been able to forget them. Anyway, I really like your journal! Keep it up! - S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 29, 2004 at 8:36 AM  

  • Hey John C. saw a page at SchoolBuddies.com.that talked about high school homecoming that sent me here. So how long have you been running your own site? ttyl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 9, 2005 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home